Tuesday 5 November 2013

My big birthday trip; Arran, October 2013

I celebrated my 60th birthday last week ... in style (for me) by spending the week on the beautiful Scottish island of Arran.

I was so pleased to be joined by a small gang of friends and relations for various parts of the week. On the day of my birthday I hosted a party where all nine of the gang wedged themselves into the cosy confines of our lovely van in the wilds. Miraculously, I produced a cooked chilli in our home on wheels and copious quantities of drink was consumed. Dunno about the rest of 'em ... but I had such fun.

I had lots of super pressies ... thank you to all my friends and relations, but I got the most pleasure from the simple presence of all the folks who made such an effort to join me. Thank you so much to you/them all.

In no particular order I'm indebted to my old (in every sense) friend Bernie and his lovely wife Ali, my gorgeous daughter Abi and her fiancĂ© Dave, our super neighbours and good friends Kim and Hamish, the oh-so-youthful (but I won't hold it against him) James, my precious wife Chrissie and, most importantly, our canine companions; Dixie, Tilly, James' four legged pal, Reuben and Kim and Hamish's little treasure, Daisy.

In addition to the party, highlights of the week included an ascent of Goat Fell in changeable weather and a fine mountain bike ride around the extensive grounds of Brodick Castle. We didn't visit a campsite once, preferring to enjoy the ability to camp anywhere within reason when in Scotland. We did repay this kindness by buying most of our provisions on the island though.

Here are a few images for your delectation:





Here's what happens when you ask a nearby 13 year old to take a photo with a point'n'shoot digital camera:








A superb week ... thanks to friends and loved ones.

God bless them all.

Smile x




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome but please be patient. Thanks to recent rudeness on here I have reinstated moderation. Hence, your comments will appear after I've approved them. Thanks for taking the trouble to visit my blog.