Sunday 26 November 2017

A cold, snowy wild camp on Bleaklow

Saturday morning in Hayfield. There's a sprinkling of snow in the village. The first this winter. I have an appointment with my friend Chris. Islay's panniers and my rucsac are packed. Sandwiches made, we leave the house late in the morning.

Chris lives 20 minutes walk away in a hamlet close by. Soon, we're climbing onto Middle Moor. The path traversing White Brow has a handful of people on it. The snow is sparse. Climbing William Clough snow begins to fall. We stop for lunch on Mill Hill before striking north east on the Pennine Way over Glead Hill and Featherbed Moss. It's bitterly cold now. The problem with cold fingers, which I always seem to forget until winter weather arrives, hits again. My lined waterproof gloves, damp with sweat from the ascent, now contain cold water and my finger ends are losing feeling. We stop and I swap for dry, warmer gloves. It takes several minutes for me to persuade my damp digits into the warmth of the gloves. Then we're off again. Islay behaves like a pup in the snow. Burrowing through drifts. Lying on her tummy, pulling herself with front legs, delighting in the feel of the snow on her fur. 


Mist clears momentarily to give a view of Kinder's northern edge.


The walk across to Snake Summit feels interminable. There's just enough snow on the slabs of the path to make them slippy. Chris misjudges where the slabs end and plants a foot into knee deep peat. We take turns to slip, catching balance, narrowly avoiding falling.


Finally reaching the Snake road we cross. It's been opened to traffic again but was closed earlier this morning. We trudge on through the snow and, eventually, after around four and a half hour's walking, we arrive at our camp for the night in a secret location, known to a number of backpacking friends. It's a favourite spot of mine but Chris hasn't been here before.

I clip Islay's lead to my rucsac and succeed in pitching our Southern Cross 2 without removing my thick, warm gloves. As I begin filtering water from the stream Islay becomes impatient. She barks at me, annoyed. She's had enough and could easily be cold. I'm as quick as I can be and then my first job is pulling Islay's bed from her panniers and placing it in the usual place in the tent. And after a quick rub with a towel Islay is ensconced in her cosy bed/sleeping bag.


Now we're all cocooned in our tents. Chris calls across to ask how I am. He's forgotten the thermal liner for his synthetic sleeping bag. It's an easy mistake. He's had a stressful week at work and doesn't have the luxury of spending half a day loading a sac, like me. He's fully clothed in his bag. I change into dry base layers, a down vest and my Montane Prism jacket. My down bag completes my comfort. I wrap Islay in her fleece sleeping coat.

I watch a documentary on iPlayer about Sophie Lancaster, murdered around eight years ago by a gang of youths who didn't like her goth clothes and appearance. It's harrowing and leaves me pensive.

Islay devours her dinner with gusto and I dine on an extremely tasty Real Turmat meal of pulled pork and rice. It was a trial sample from the lovely Laura and James at Base Camp Foods. It's truly delicious. Desert's a dense, oaty flapjack and coffee. I read awhile and sip malt whisky. Then it's a quick dash out for doggy toilet duties before we settle for the night.

I enjoy one of the best night's sleep ever in a tent and don't wake fully until 8am. There's a layer of snow on both the windward walls of the tent, pressing the fly onto the inner. A slap on each side sees most of it tumble to the floor.

I hear Chris outside. 
"I'm not gonna do another night," he says. Our plan had been for two nights out; the second being on Kinder's eastern edge.
"Ok, no problem," I reply. "Are you ok?"
Chris has been cold all night. Really not what you want on a winter camp. I sympathise and tell him I'll carry on with Plan A, while he returns via our outbound route.

Each time I've awakened through the night I've checked Islay is warm enough by feeling between her fleece coat and fur. She was always ok but now, I notice, she's shivering.

I take her out for a toilet break. At least four inches more snow has fallen overnight.


Bringing Islay back in quickly I ensure she's wrapped up well in her bag but I'm a little concerned. Taking a dog camping is a little like having a toddler with you. You have to cater for their every need, as well as your own. I wonder whether it's right, bringing her out in the cold like this. I try not to anthropomorphise our dogs, but she does look sad. I give her a cuddle and breakfast. She's reluctant to eat but finally agrees. But she won't drink. Despite several offers she's not had any water since we left home, save for that added to her dinner. Unlike Pebbles, she rarely drinks from streams or puddles. She can be a worry.

I muse over this as I munch breakfast porridge. Eventually I decide I have to put Islay's well being before my own plans and tell Chris I'll return with him.

So, after a couple of warming coffees, I pack. I put Islay's lined, waterproof coat on her in the hope it'll make her feel cosier. Then I make a silly mistake. I take down the tent wearing my fleece gloves. When I've finished, the gloves are soaked and my fingers numb with cold, again. I've years of camping experience. I have waterproof mitts in my sac to team with my fleece gloves. Why do I do such silly things? Now I have two pairs of wet gloves. But the thick ones I wore yesterday afternoon are still dry. I fiddle with getting damp fingers into them...again. And Chris helps me stuff the tent into it's bag and to attach Islay's panniers using the tiny fastex buckles. I'm glad he's here. 

At last we're away. 



As we approach the Pennine Way a figure appears and calls my name. It's Hadrian. We follow each other on Twitter but have never met, until now. Hadrian had spent the night higher up and felt the wind. We both knew that each planned to be on Bleaklow. We walk with him to Snake Summit where his car is, but not before managing to walk in a full circle, Winnie the Pooh like, in a struggle to regain the path once I had led us all off it! Stories like this make for great memories and we laugh it off. Thankfully it took only minutes for us to recognise...and resolve the minor faux pas.

It's pleasant chatting with Hadrian as we walk and always good to meet an online friend, the more so in such circumstances, away in the wild hills.

Bidding farewell to Hadrian we embark, once again, on the tiresome trudge over Featherbed Moss. This time, tactically, we stop for a break and sustenance halfway. 




Then it's a descent of William Clough and making our way back into the village. 



As Chris and I separate, we smile and agree, despite adversities, that it's been fun.
"Maybe we should try doing this in summer, sometime," says Chris as he walks away, grinning.

13 comments:

  1. You are a more determined man than me, Geoff. I hate cold and wet. That hatred far outweighs the prospect of a wild camp and long dark hours in a small tent.

    But well done and I hope that you enjoyed the trip despite the hardships.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David. I was very achy last night, which is unusual for me. Perhaps the consequence of being quite tense on the long slog over those flagstones on Featherbed Moss...twice.

      Delete
  2. Now that is an impressive wee trip. Hope Islay is ok now? Brilliant photos too. Your glove situation has had me ordering a new pair of serious winter gloves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dawn. She's tired this morning. I need to rethink taking her out when it's like that. My agenda today us turning out our old glove drawer and making up a backpacking glove bag. Might involve some expense.

      Delete
  3. I nice report, I don't seem to have the drive of wanting to winter camp anymore, I need to change that though. I tend to use mitts in winter, as getting wet, cold fingers back into gloves is sometimes nigh on impossible. However cold my fingers get, mitts tend to warm them back up, unlike gloves. I know you know all this though Geoff. Most folk I know hate mitts, even in winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ian. You're right. I know it all 😉 But I don't always follow my own advice. I can be a silly old git. Mitts will be in backpacking sac from here on.

      Delete
    2. I bought woollen Dachstein mitts for my first Alpine trip in 1977. Foolishly stuck them in a charity bag about 5 years ago even though they were still in great condition. Should have kept them in my pack.

      Delete
  4. Brr! That does look a bit chilly. I hope Islay is OK. Maybe she missed having Pebbles as a hot water bottle?
    You've reminded me that I need to buy some thin waterproof overmitts. I've never found a waterproof glove that works for me so generally do as much as I can before my fingers freeze then hop around shouting Ow Ow Ow while they defrost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Islay's still a bit subdued, though improving. Tomorrow's job is reassessing my glove situation. Seems, in winter, carrying loads of gloves and mitts is the proper answer.

      Delete
  5. Brave men indeed :). Inspires me to go winter wild camping. I'll be alone though, rest of the family think its a mad idea.
    I always carry several pairs of gloves when I go out although like one of the comments above I wish I'd kept my Dachteins from years ago, always warm even when wet. Like you I was always constantly worried about my dog when I took him camping. Great trip report as always

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andy. Not so much brave as daft I reckon. We just looked up Dachsteins. They're still available. May consider some again.
      Bit distracted this morning. Noah, our first grandchild, arrived 05:30 today. Mum and babe well.

      Delete
    2. ...and happy for you to come and join me for a camp Andy 👍

      Delete

Comments are always welcome but please be patient. Thanks to recent rudeness on here I have reinstated moderation. Hence, your comments will appear after I've approved them. Thanks for taking the trouble to visit my blog.